Saturday, 13 September 2014

Elwha Dam
August 7-11

Now we can go on our big trip of the summer....

Off to Elwha Dam we go.  Elwha Dam is just 10 minutes from Port Angeles and LOTS of fun places to see and go to!  We stayed at Elwha Dam RV Park.  Booked it after checking it out on line and hoping that it was as good as the pictures on line made it out to be.....

We drove past Oak Harbour Naval Air Station....we had heard the planes flying overhead while at La Conner.  It is pretty cool to see them flying past but they are loud.

The drive to Port Angeles is very scenic and I would love to go there again to explore more of the quirky little places you pass along the way. Maybe one day, just Dave and I....

We had to take a ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend.  It was just a short ferry ride but it made it feel like we were going far away.  We made it to the ferry terminal in plenty of time....not bad for the Spoors, although we did have Rob and Marnie to keep us on time.... We even made an earlier ferry than the one we had originally reserved a spot for....that's got to be a record for us!  Anyway, Fort Casey State Park is right by the ferry terminal.  We checked out the beach and a bit of the park.  One day I am going to camp there!
We had hardly stopped the cars in the lineup and Jake, Nicole and Jordyn were off exploring!  Love those 3!  They find so many cool and interesting things and I would SO LOVE to be a fly on the wall to hear all of their conversations....I would have to be a patient fly cause Jordyn talks a lot but it would be interesting!!!  She's the best, gets Jake and Nicole going and the friendship these 3 have is pretty special.  Kind of like a cousin for Jake and an older sister for Nicole! You ROCK Jordyn!  Love you.

The beach was super nice.  It had really nice sand....and great views.
Back to back...thanks for the fabulous trip guys!  Looking forward to lots more adventures.
Dylan is so fun too.  Even though Matthew and Dylan are 4 years apart in age they get along famously! They are developing a special friendship too.  They are interested in a lot of the same things so this trip was perfect....they could discover new and exciting things in their own special way too!  They both love to dig and dig and dig.....so whenever there is a good beach that's what they do!  They don't talk as much but their conversations would be fun to be a part of too!  Whenever we drive with Rob and Marnie, Matthew is often in their truck with Brooklyn and Dylan....they get to hear all the good stuff.....
Almost cousins.....Matthew, Jake, Jordyn, Brooklyn, Nicole and Dylan!
Dave you photo bomber!  What a pain you are!
...but you're mine and I love you!
Almost a smile!
I found flowers....





Nicole hardly ever has her hair down.  I had to get a picture of our Nicolie!  Wish I had her hair!

Here comes the ferry!



They are so stinkin' cute!
While the ferry was unloading and re-loading the kids were playing around on the posts.  I was trying to get all the kids standing each on a post.  We just about had them all on one and there was a special announcement from the captain of the ferry.... "Could you please have those children get off the posts, we cannot continue with un-loading until they are down." Oops....and I didn't get the shot!  Bummer!  It looked cool and I really don't see how this was distracting or dangerous for the loading....we were no where near the cars coming out of the ferry....
There was plenty of room on the ferry but the guy in front of Rob didn't park very well.
Seagul...in case you didn't recognize this bird.
Fort Casey State Park....camping right on the water.  I am imagining it to be a bit cool but I would still like to camp there.
The sun was beginning to burn off the fog.  It was very bright on the deck....brighter than Dave's shirt!

Matthew and Dylan both love to puzzle so when they found this puzzle on the ferry they were pretty much occupied for the whole ride!
Filling the time with brochures... ....where should we go, what should we do....
The fog as we were unloading from the ferry in Port Townsend.
And we made it to Elwha Dam....

Got all set up on our teeny sites.  It was definitely a private park, all manicured and neat but small.  Once we were all set up it was great.  Nice and clean that's for sure.  I hardly had to sweep in the trailer here....
Jake, Nicole and Jordyn were REALLY hoping we could set up a tent but the park people didn't want us to put it on the grass in between our sites.  We were however allowed to put it just across the road in the tenting section, free of charge!
Nice, neat and cozy but it was home for the next 4 nights.

There wasn't a lot for the kids to do in the park itself but they found places to explore and go.  They were off and about right away of course and when they came back they had plenty of stories of the huge canyon they saw.  Marnie and I thought we should go check it out and it's a GOOD thing we did!......
.....because this is what they found! It was a super cool view but there were no barricades to block you from falling hundreds of feet into the rushing water of the canyon below!  Rather scary...  There were signs saying the road was closed but no warning signs of major drop offs and steep edges and it was sudden drop offs! There was a safer route to a viewpoint so that's the trail we said they had to stay on but they did admit they did wander all the way to the far right side of this picture!!! 
The Elwha Dam was shut down years ago because it was harming the salmon population and the water is now making it's way naturally along the river bed again.  It was a beautiful sight.  In the far back centre of the picture there is a dried up lake bed.  The dam created Lake Aldwell which is now dried up.  It was neat to see and I would love to explore there some more one day.

No comments: