March 8, 2014
I saw an ad on Facebook saying that girls and women could get a free flight in a small air craft at the Langley airport. I usually don't check these things out but for some reason this time I did and I am really glad I did. I am a bit of a doubter with these things but it was for real! Only first time fliers could register...not counting flights on larger, commercial aircraft. I got a spot for Nicole and I and what an experience it turned out to be! Christina managed to get a spot for Kyleigh in the same time slot as Nicole and I so she joined us for the fun.
When we woke up in the morning the sky wasn't looking too promising. It's a good thing I booked the first time....believe it or not I chose 9:00 AM! It didn't start raining until just before we went up.
While in the line up we found out you could get a ride in either a small plane or a helicopter. We all 3 agreed that if we got a choice we would go in the helicopter! We headed out with the first group of people to get into a helicopter but then all of a sudden they were all filled. We asked our cadet that was leading us around if we could just wait by the runway so that we didn't get sent to the airplanes. He didn't really know what was all going on so he let us do just that. It was neat to feel the wind from the propellers...it's really, really windy as they take off.
That's the helicopter we got! It was the smallest one. The one that only 3 passengers and the pilot fit in! It was the one I wanted to have a ride in!
The planes that were used for the day. Had we gone into one of them we would have flown over our house!
Kyleigh got the front seat.Nicole and I sat in the back.
It was the coolest feeling when we started to go up. In an airplane you start driving faster and faster and then the front end tips up and off you go but in a helicopter it feels all different. The propeller up top starts to go faster and louder and then all of a sudden you are moving up in the air, straight up. Then you move forward and go. It's a slower feeling kind of like an elevator but way more cool of course!
McLeod Athletic Park.The Fraser River and Ft. Langley.
Golden Ears Bridge. If it had been a clear day we would probably have been able to see the warehouse!
Hwy 1 and Walnut Grove.Yup, I flew too!
Glover Road and Langley City.
And back down on the ground at Langley Airport again.
There were some interesting things to see and do in the airport so we looked around a bit before going home. Nicole and Kyleigh with an RCMP. She tried to tell the girls that being and RCMP is a great job but I don't think she convinced them.
The learned a bit about the materials used in building the air crafts from the University of the Fraser Valley.
They were allowed to climb into this older style plane.
What a fun day we had.....so very, very glad I checked out that ad! The boys were kind of sad they weren't girls!
No comments:
Post a Comment