Bathroom and More - October 18-22, 2010
I know some of you have been waiting and waiting and waiting for some more reno picture updates. I've been struggling a bit with the blogger website. It hasn't been letting me upload many pictures at a time, that's a bit of a disaster for me, so it's been slow going getting the updates done. That and the fact that it's been a 'little' busy around here lately. I will slowly get this done. We are moved upstairs now and getting all organized. You know I love to be organized. Unbelievable to think that as when I was a kid I was in no way organized! Don't give up hope on all you unorganized, cluttered, messy girls because wonders never cease, they can change. I did.
Anyway, back to the reno that's been keeping us busy........
In the midst of our tear down and build up we decided to redo the bathroom too. There was a bit of a problem with the bathtub. The water on the edges would come out of the tub rather than go back into it. That's because the tub was not installed properly. In fact when Bert pulled it out it had the original box packaging installed with it. It was slanting the wrong way. Bert fixed that for us. We kept the same tub, toilet and sink as well as all the fixtures. We like those. Bert then re-tiled the bathroom for us. We splurged and put a heat mat under the floor too! Oohh so very nice and toasty in the morning. We are loving that! So, now the bathroom is done and we can move that part back upstairs again! I don't have the finished, finished picture on here yet, I'll do that at a later time but here's a glimpse of what it looks like. Yes, that's Bert working away!
The fireplace was also redone. That was also not on the original reno plan but how can you redo the entire area around it and not do the fireplace? We looked long and hard for a gas insert that we liked and finally found one. One place advised us not to get one with stones but to stick to the traditional logs but you know us, we are not traditional and we went against that advice. I am VERY glad we didn't because I just love the beach look this gives our place. We like the beach! as you may have noticed in our summer holidays. The rocks were also hard to find. Every tile and stone place we went to had rocks that really looked man made. Finally, on our lighting search day, we found the rocks we wanted. We found out who had it and who installed it and went with him. We are glad we did that too as we think it looks very, very good. Our mantle was another score as we were recommended a place by Wes who made our very cheap mantle. We, or rather Dave, had to stain it and Bert had to install it but it sure was worth the $ we saved at this place. Once again, we are very happy with the final product!
Lighting I thought would be super, super hard but it wasn't too bad. We didn't search all over the place, not good at that, but we went to Design Lighting and found just what we needed. I don't have pictures of all the lights just yet but will soon! This one is our retro entry light. Both Dave and I saw it, liked it and bought it! It kind of reminds us of what our parents would have had in the 70's! I wasn't into anything chandalierish or flowery or with all kinds of curly cue things on it. This is what we came up with.
As you can see we now have a ceiling with some skylights. Those were extras too. A very last minute decision that was made a day before the ceiling was to be done. That would cause a delay for the dry waller and ceiling guys but I really think it was worth it. They bring in so much light and when we have our dark rainy days in the winter we will have so much more light in the house. So, the drywall is done, the ceiling is done, some of the trim is up and the painting has begun. The railing is partly in and the floor is coming soon! Then after that the cabinets!
No comments:
Post a Comment